Illinois BASSET Alcohol Seller-Server Training
Illionois BASSET Alcohol Seller-Server Program
BASSET (Beverage Alcohol Sellers and Servers Education and Training) is the State of Illinois' responsible beverage seller-server program. BASSET alcohol seller-server training ensures that sellers and servers of alcohol understand the Illinois liquor laws and serve alcoholic beverages responsibly. BASSET alcohol seller-server training can also significantly reduce the risk and liability associated with alcohol service.
Who should be BASSET Certified?
- By July 1, 2018, ALL Illinois on-premise alcohol seller-servers (and those required to check identification for alcohol service) are mandated to take a BASSET training course and be re-certificatified every 3 years.
- Employees in establishments that serve alcohol in bars, restaurants, hotels, taverns, night clubs, and banquet halls: bartenders, bar backs, servers, managers, security personnel and bouncers.
- Employees in establishments that sell alcohol in liquor stores, grocery stores, convenient stores and gas stations: sales associates, clerks, supervisors and managers.
The objectives of the IllInois BASSET Alcohol Seller-Server training course are:
- Train and educate sellers and/or servers on responsible alcohol service;
- Identify the signs of intoxication and apply successful intervention techniques;
- Stop underage sales and identify fake IDs;
- How to properly handle difficult patron situations;
- Educate on liability, state laws and regulations, and native ordinances regarding alcohol service.
Illinois BASSET ALCOHOL Seller-Server Training
- BASSET Seller-Server
- State Contact Info
- State Regulations
BASSET Alcohol Seller-Server Course
The BASSET alcohol seller-server training course provides the student with the necessary knowledge about Illinois state laws regarding alcohol service and proven techniques needed to be a responsible seller of alcohol and for providing a safe environment for customers. Specifically, you will learn:
- how to protect yourself and your establishment from liability;
- how alcohol affects your customers;
- how to recognize the effects of alcohol on your customers;
- how to prevent customers from becoming intoxicated;
- how to intervene when you need to refuse a sale to someone;
- how to prevent and deal with disturbances;
- how to accurately check IDs and recognize minors;
- how to prevent second-party sales; and
- how to refuse a sale.
Audience: Illinois employees in establishments that sell and serve alcohol in bars, restaurants, hotels, taverns, night clubs, concessions, and banquet halls: bartenders, bar backs, servers, managers, security personnel and bouncers.
- Lesson 1: Introduction
- Lesson 2: How Alcohol Affects the Body
- Lesson 3: Recognizing Intoxicated Customers
- Lesson 4: Preventing Disturbances
- Lesson 5: Minors and Liability
- Lesson 6: How to Refuse a Sale
- Lesson 7: State of Illinois Alcohol-Related Laws
End of Course Test & Certificate
At the conclusion of the course, the learner will be tested on their knowledge of the learning objectives and content. Upon successfully passing the exam with a minimum of 70%, the learner will be able to download a course certificate.
A roster of students who have passed the exam is sent to the Liquor Control Commission (ILCC). The Commission (ILCC) then issues BASSET cards to participants who successfully complete the course.
BASSET cards a valid for 3 years from date of issuance.
Illinois Alcohol Regulatory Agency
The Illinois Liquor Control Commission (ILCC) is responsible for the control over the importation, distribution, sale, and consumption of alcoholic beverages, which applies to all retailers, suppliers, and wholesalers who are licensed to manufacture, sell, serve, transport, or store liquor in the State of Illinois.
Beverage Alcohol Sellers and Servers Education and Training (BASSET) is the State of Illinois' responsible beverage seller/server program. Under the licensing and regulatory auspices of the Illinois Liquor Control Commission, BASSET is designed to encourage profitable, responsible, and legal alcohol sales and service. Source: Illinois Liquor Control Commission (ILCC)
State of Illinois Liquor Control Commission (ILCC)
100 W. Randolph Ste. 5-300
Chicago, IL 60601
Phone: (312) 814-2206
101 West Jefferson Suite 3-525
Springfield, Illinois 62702
Illinois BASSET - Alcoholic Beverage Statutes, Rules and Regulations
- The July 2015 signing of Public Act 99-0046 (PDF) required alcohol servers (and those checking ID's for alcohol service) in Illinois on-premise establishments to successfully complete a Beverage Alcohol Sellers/Servers Education & Training (BASSET) class every 3 years.
- The mandate took effect by a pre-determined date based upon county population (NOTE: Many local jurisdictions already require BASSET; please visit the Local Survey page for ordinances in your community).
- Illinois Liquor Control Commission (ILCC) - BASSET FAQs
- Order the FREE "We Card Hard" pack of educational materials for your establishment
- BASSET Card Lookup
- Title 77: Public Health - Chapter XVI: Liquor Control Commission - Part 3500 - Beverage Alcohol Sellers And Servers Education and Training (BASSET) Programs